A little bit about Robin

I was born in raised in Alabama and am proud of my Southern roots. My passion is to write and share my life experiences, thoughts, and views about interesting things in my past and present. Welcome to my neck of the woods. Sit down and swing a while.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

My sister-in-law, Beth, has a mother named Mary. We all love Mary, she is swell. When the May family visits San Fran for Thanksgiving, Mary makes knots rolls. I love her knot rolls. The recipe came from Sunset Magazine. Sunset is the Western version of Southern Living. The magize has been around for over 50 years and fantstic to look at. The recipes within are true to the region and a great contrast to the tasty Southern foods we are so accustom to here in the South. Check out the website here http://www.sunset.com/sunset/.

Mary knows how much I adore helping her make the knot rolls. One day she was in a used bookstore out in Cali and thumbed across an old Sunset Cook Book of Breads, published in 1973. In the index she found the recipe for her knot rolls and sent me the book! What a kind gesture.

I was flipping through the cookbook the other night and came across a recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Bread. If you have ever made banana bread, you know your bananas have to past ripe (bruised) so they mush better. In my kitchen there just so happened to be three neglected bananas living in my fruit basket. I could not resist! I sent Michael to the store to get me some whole-wheat flower. He likes to run errands for me, or at least pretends to like it. While he was out I set out all my other ingredients. The end result is below with recipe. If you have a chance to make it, ENJOY with a square of butter a big tall glass of milk!

See Below…

1/2-cup butter or margarine
1-cup sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten
3 medium size bananas (1 cup mashed)
1 cup regular all purpose flower
1/2-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon soda
1-cup whole-wheat flower
1/3-cup hot water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Melt butter and blend in sugar. Mix in beaten eggs and mashed bananas. Blend until smooth. Sift all-purpose flower with salt and soda. Stir in whole-wheat flower. Add dry ingredients alternately with hot water. Stir in chopped nutmeats. Turn into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake in a moderately slow oven 325 degrees for one hour and 10 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good. I can't wait for my bananas to turn brown! I've never made banana bread with wheat flour but I'll try it! Susie

Anonymous said...

HURRAY!! Several years ago,I lost EVERYTHING, including BOXES of cookbooks in a fire! THIS was my FAVORITE banana bread recipe----I'm so glad to find it again!! I always added a bit of orange zest--makes it extra good!! Thank You!!:)

Perkywarrior said...

This has always been my favorite Banana Bread recipe. It's moist and delicious.

Anonymous said...

This is the best bread book ever. I bought it in 1977 & use this bannana bread reciepe all the time. My favorite & the best reciepe in the book is the Applesauce Raisin bread! I make at Christmas time. I have moved & cannot locate my book. Could you please post the Applesauce Raisin Bread receipe. Thanks

Porch Swing Girl said...

Just started blogging and seeing all these comments! to the person who wants the Applesauce raisin Recipe, I will gladly post it within a week or so!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! We moved to an apartment recently and had to put of lot of our belongings in storage and I had no idea where this cookbook was. Thanks for posting so I could make my yummy banana bread today! BTW, when I don't have wheat flour I just use all white, and it still turns out great! Melanie

Anonymous said...

Just packed all my cookbooks before moving to Maui and was so glad to find my old favorite banana bread recipe! Thank you... BTW... flower??? :) flour... ;)